In July Peter was here and took baseline soil samples. I had him locate the test plot in the barest place in my field, as that is what I started with everywhere but the orchard and the original lawn.
Eventually, when he has time to update the website, you will be able to see my test plot on the day he took the first samples by clicking here.
Last week I gathered as much sweet clover seed as I could get from my plants and spread it in the area where I am planning to establish warm season grass and mixed pasture. The soon to be pasture encompasses the entire sample plot for the soil carbon project.
Today I seeded big bluestem in that part of the field. This post is just to record what I did.
First I cleared most of the weeds, made some creases, ran water, adjusted ditches and flow.
Today I scratched the surface, scattered seed on the down hill side of every crease, and the interior side of edge creases, and raked it to cover the seeds.
Then, because the literature says big bluestem likes it, I stomped it down, then ran water again, and again, and again. I'm hoping to see germination in a week. In warm weather conditions, it is important not to let the grass seed dry out, so its water, water, water.
The soil is warm enough for plenty of weed seeds to germinate, but few of the annual weeds will have time to set seed before frost. Just in case they try it, I put out plenty of substitute weed seeds, purple amaranth, calendula, kale, arugula, radishes and a few others from my seed box.
I have some more seeds to add, but I will wait to list them until they are in the soil.